Google
 
Web This Blog

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Active Ports

Two years ago, I tried to install Mdaemon mail server on an NT machine that I had already installed Wingate proxy server. I could start POP3, but SMTP refused to start. Oops why? What’s wrong with you, Mr. SMTP? I brought up the DOS prompt and typed ‘netstat –an’ wow something was already using port 25. ‘netstat’ of Windows NT doesn’t give any options to map ports to the owning process, nor Windows 2000. I spent some minutes on the Net to find a simple tool to help to me. Finally, I found Active Ports and it helped me to find Wingate that was using the port. Active Ports is free and easy to use. You can download it from http://www.protect-me.com/freeware.html. Those who run Windows XP can use ‘netstat –b’ to accomplish this task. Happy computing! ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home